- July 14, 2023
- Posted by: Wentworth
- Categories: Car Tips, Helpful Tips
It’s summertime and that means more fun in the sun and road trips! Preparing your car for a road trip is
essential to ensure a smooth and worry-free journey. Before you embark it is a good idea to take your car
to a trusted mechanic to get a onceover to ensure a safe and fun ride. For self-inspections, here are some
things to check out before taking the car out!
1. Check your fluid levels. It is important to check the levels of all essential fluids. Fluids such as engine
oil, coolant, brake fluid, power steering fluid, and windshield washer fluid should be looked at and topped
off if needed.
2. Inspect the Tires. Check the tire pressure and make sure it matches the recommended levels. Also
remember to inspect the tire tread depth and look for any signs of damage or uneven wear. Consider
rotating the tires if needed.
3. Test the Battery. Ensure that your car battery is in good condition by cleaning the battery terminals of
any corrosion and check the battery charge. If your battery is old or weak, it may be a good idea to replace
it before your trip.
4. Check the Brakes. Test the brakes for any signs of wear or squeaking. If you notice any issues, have
them inspected and replace worn brake pads or discs.
5. Examine the Lights. Check the headlights, taillights, turn signals, and brake lights to ensure they are
working correctly. Replace any bulbs that are burnt out.
6. Inspect Wiper Blades. Ensure that your wiper blades are in good condition and clear your windshield
efficiently. If they leave streaks or show signs of wear, replace them.
7. Pack an Emergency Kit. Be prepared with a kit that includes a spare tire, jack, jumper cables, flashlight,
first aid kit, roadside flares, and a basic toolkit.
8. Pack Necessary Supplies. Ensure you have items such as a GPS device, documents needed (drivers
license, registration, and insurance), extra water bottles, snacks, entertainment, and music for the road.
Remember to plan your route, take regular breaks, and adhere to traffic regulations during your trip. Most
of all have fun!!